- The Biblical view of “Hell”
- The Biblical perception of space and time (which marvelously matches the post-modern and current scientific description of space and time)
- The Biblical idea that God is One (He is not part Love and part something else)
- and the Biblical view of:
- Evil and the Fall
- Man (the old “Adam” and the new “Adam”)
- Predestination, Election and “Free Will”
- Final Judgment, which requires the surrender of our judgment (in other words: the triumph of Grace)
Except for the details of modern physics, the paradigm shift is nothing new. A Theology of Relentless Love was arguably the predominant theology of the early church and is clearly the perspective of some of the world’s greatest theologians and writers (Karl Barth, Hans Von Balthaser, William Barclay, George MacDonald, Pope John Paul II, Pope Benedict, and Pope Frances). And yet people jump to the utterly bizarre conclusion that it is unbiblical and renders the cross of Christ pointless. IT’S JUST THE OPPOSITE. It is most Biblical… and the declaration that absolutely nothing is as powerful as the Word of God. Jesus Christ and Him crucified works… absolutely.
If you’re interested in exploring this topic in some sort of orderly fashion, I’d suggest doing so by clicking on stuff in the following order and then skipping those items with which you’re already familiar:
Introductory Articles on Theology:
- All Things New This is a summary of some of the theological ideas that contribute to a new paradigm regarding “Hell” and the redemption of all things, as well as an explanation of why it matters. I would suggest starting here.
- An Adventure in Taking Scripture “Literally” or How to be accused of being a liberal heretic by Evangelical Christians. This is the long exegetical paper that I wrote in 2006. I suggest reading the sections in red (concluding statements) and then going back and looking at pertinent Scriptures, they are probably addressed in this document. It needs to be updated and was written not as a book but a resource, so please scan it and take what is helpful.
- THE HISTORY OF TIME and the Genesis of You. This is an exposition of Genesis 1:1-2:4 with a breathtaking new twist. It explores the idea that God is creating us in Him Image and He won’t fail; in fact you and all of creation will be “very good.”
- God and His Sexy Body: The Story of Adam and His Bride This book is an exposition of Genesis 2:4-2:25, following The History of Time. It explores the amazing truth that we are being created for communion. And not just between a man and a woman, but communion with God and all humanity. We are God’s sexy body—united under one head. We are the Bride of the Eschatos Adam, Jesus our Lord.
- If All People Will Be Saved, Why Preach the Gospel? People often ask, “If God makes all things new, where’s the urgency in sharing the gospel?” I think the answer is rather shocking and defines the calling upon all who’ve come to trust in the Gospel of God’s Relentless Love in Christ Jesus our Lord.